Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Oven is On


With the big kids back at school and the new year well on it's way I've finally found some time to get  back into the kitchen.  When I bake, I BAKE...This week it was Date Loaf.  A favourite for everybody, and it doesn't last long around here. I like to think that it's a relatively healthy snack so it's great for lunchboxes. This recipe freezes very well, so I make a few at a time, freeze them and then slice them up fresh when needed!     

 
Date Loaf
1  cup chopped dates
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tabs butter
1 teasp baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 egg
3/4 cup sr flour
3/4 cup plain flour                      


Place dates, sugar, butter and baking soda in a bowl
Pour boiling water over and mix well together
Allow to stands until almost cold
Add the beaten egg
Sift dry ingredients together and add gradually, Mix well
Pour into greased and floured bar tin
bake in slow to moderate oven for approx 40 minutes
Serve sliced with butter

6 comments:

  1. Yummt! Cooking them all at once saves energy too...yours and the electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, is date loaf anything like sticky date pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazel, I do save a lot of time by baking all at once but unfortunately....Oven is on in the morning and then Air conditioner is on in the afternoon...That's the problem with baking in the summer!!!

    Ali, Date loaf is kind of like a sticky date pudding but instead of the sauce you smother it with Butter...Nice with a cup of tea and easy peasy to make....Here's a thought - Do dates grow in Qld??? Be nice to make with your own dates!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm Linda from Nothin But Country Living...I found you while visiting Life On A Southern Farm. Your Date Loaf looks delicious! I made Pumpkin Bread a couple of weeks ago and Zucchini Bread last week and its all gone. I love to have these with a cup of coffee or hot tea in the cold winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda and Welcome...I like the sound of those, Pumpkin and Zucchini Bread, sounds so healthy doesn't it. Do you have your recipe on your blog? I must pop in and see.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I have just found your blog, & love it, just wondering how many batches of your recipe do you make for that amount of cakes?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today, please take a moment to say Hi and leave a comment it’s nice to know who's visiting. Your comments, questions and answers are all an extension to my posts and I appreciate each and every one of them.
Thank you for taking the time.
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...